Monday, January 21, 2013

Internet Accessible High Performance vSphere Home Lab Part II

Having created a home lab and trying to remotely connect to that, I was quite happy to see it's fast performance which I never received in VMware Workstation based lab. But sooner I realized I cannot access the VM's remote console (Right click the VM-> "Open Console") through this web client. 

On further researching, I found out TCP Port: 903 is responsible for this job. Since we are using a PAT (Port Address Translation) like service through "Dynamic Update Client" of http://www.no-ip.com it is essential that we need to make a similar entry for this port in our wifi router (refer to Step.10 in previous blog post on the same title). 

I also developed greed of accessing my vSphere Home Lab through vSphere Client itself remotely. And for that TCP Port 443 needs to be exempted. So, I made another entry for port 443. Now your Wifi Router console screen ("Advance Settings") should show like this:


 Now when I try to access the console of any VM by doing right click to the VM and choosing "Open Console" from vSphere Web Console, I can open it.

Also I tried to access my vSphere Home Lab Remotely through vSphere Client, I have no issues. Good thing is that the speed is so good that I don't feel I am accessing a Remote Lab at all. And unlike VMware Workstation based labs, this is blazing-fast and no latency at all (without even using SSD!)



Now you can play with your Home Lab Remotely through vSphere Web Client  as well as vSphere Client. 

I shall wait to hear your feedback if you have implemented this. I will be interested to know whether you have gained easy access and faster performance from your Home Lab or not. Feel free to contact me via the blog or write to me: Amitabh.Dey@Gmail.Com 

No comments:

Post a Comment